Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Champion - Marie Lu

14290364Champion
Marie Lu
Series: Legend, #3
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopian, Young Adult
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Word Rating: Breathtaking
On Goodreads

I JUST WANT TO SCREAM MARIE LU'S NAME FROM THE TOP OF EVER ROOFTOP IN EVERY BATTERED CITY THAT I CAN FIND MOTHERFRICKITY FRACK I LOVE YOU. I LOVE YOU TILL THE MOUNTAINS CRUMBLE AND THEN MORE, MARIE LU. I DO.

This was the most incredible ending to such a book I did not expect all of that to be happening I honestly just expected another war like novel with beautiful words and a amazing writing but a cop out ending like Requiem. But no, that did not happen.

I mean, can we just talk about the characters for a second. Can we just? June bloody Iparis absolutely does it for me. She's not real but she deserves a BAFTA.

This is June:



And Day, and Pascao (DEAR GODS I LOVE PASCAO) and Tess and everyone.

June finished her character development and grew into the strong, amazing young woman we knew she would. She handles everything so, so well and deals with her emotions far better than she did in Legend and Prodigy. She finally accepts her love for Day and does her best for everyone around. I confess my only major disappointment at the end was that Marie Lu used June's suffering and the situation around her to make June have weak moments, and her final resolutions are not true to the character at all and do not make her stronger. 'Perhaps there is such a thing as fate' is neither June, nor quite relevant to what June was thinking, nor does it make it mature and wise and healthy for her to submit to the whims of the world like that.

But anyway, only one gripe. Day was mag-fracking-nificent because he loses everything and he fights. He fights because it is the only thing he can do. He loves so much he is destroyed, his family is ripped to shreds and he fights and he fights and he fights and the willpower in this one character is so intimidatingly inspiring I don't understand how to word it correctly. Everything he does to protect Eden, how he basically changes the ENTIRE WORLD with his love, including Anden from turning into a monster and June from losing herself. When he began forgetting things? That's when I knew. Spoiler alert: That's when I knew who the real enemy was and that the Chancellor was nothing but a plot device and nothing was ever going to be okay again.

Ugh and the PLOT! The plot had around five billion intricate lengths all woven into a fabulous, fabulous cloth which I pour my tears into. Everything came together perfectly.
The ending was so perfect. It leaves you with the succulent taste of 'I really don't know what's going to happen' but everything that isn't said is implied and the struggle between these two boarders and the war between them is a story only for your minds.


- Marlon

Does love conquer everything?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment