Tuesday, August 18, 2015

ARC Review: The Accident Season - Moïra Fowley-Doyle

The Accident Season
Moïra Fowley-Doyle
Series: N/A
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Magical Realism
Release Date: August 18th, 2015
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Thanks to Penguin for the ARC I received at BEA!

To say that I enjoyed The Accident Season would be an understatement. The Accident Season absolutely cut right into me and chilled me to the bone. It made my heart ache; my head spin. The Accident Season is one of the best books I've read this year.

"So let's raise our glasses to the accident season,
To the river beneath us where we sink our souls,
To the bruises and secrets, to the ghosts in the ceiling,
One more drink for the watery road."

The Accident Season follows Cara and her family as they are experiencing this year's accident season - a month a year where their family is especially accident prone, often ending in tragedies. While they know that the accident season happens every year, they have no idea why, and the reason might be something they would never expect. I was instantly intrigued by this concept - I wanted to know why their family was cursed by this accident season every year. While the story wasn't what I expected, it completely exceeded any expectations I could have had for this book.

I absolutely loved Moïra Fowley-Doyle's writing style from the very first page - her beautiful yet haunting prose sucked me in and kept me flying through this book. Her writing is always smooth and effortless, never awkward or mundane. She absolutely took my breath away with the way she could turn a phrase.

Aided by the beautiful prose, the characters of The Accident Season are brought to life on the pages. Cara is so complex - she's constantly imagining things, constantly in denial, and constantly searching for answers. The way she sees things and the way she thinks really dug deep into my soul. The other characters were equally well fleshed out, especially Alice.

Since this book is kind of complicated and I'm pretty sure I'll spoil something if I try to talk about the plot, I'm going to leave you with this: The Accident Season is absolutely compelling and haunting. From the beginning to the very end, Moïra Fowley-Doyle pulled me in and wrapped me up in this story. This is such a strong debut, and I can't wait to see what's next from Moïra Fowley-Doyle!
“There are no ghosts; only the dust in the light, our breath and the wind in the quiet, and the feeling that something, or a lot of somethings, are watching us. So maybe there are ghosts after all.”
- Kiersten

What's the last book you read that chilled you to the bone?
Let us know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. The blogging world is so torn about this book! It's definitely on my list, the writing sounds like it'll pull me in right away!

    ReplyDelete