Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday: Windfall

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week I'm waiting on Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith.

Windfall
Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: May 2, 2017
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Waited on by: Sam

Alice doesn’t believe in luck—at least, not the good kind. But she does believe in love, and for some time now, she’s been pining for her best friend, Teddy. On his eighteenth birthday—just when it seems they might be on the brink of something—she buys him a lottery ticket on a lark. To their astonishment, he wins $140 million, and in an instant, everything changes.

At first, it seems like a dream come true, especially since the two of them are no strangers to misfortune. As a kid, Alice won the worst kind of lottery possible when her parents died just over a year apart from each other. And Teddy’s father abandoned his family not long after that, leaving them to grapple with his gambling debts. Through it all, Teddy and Alice have leaned on each other. But now, as they negotiate the ripple effects of Teddy’s newfound wealth, a gulf opens between them. And soon, the money starts to feel like more of a curse than a windfall.

As they try to find their way back to each other, Alice learns more about herself than she ever could have imagined . . . and about the unexpected ways in which luck and love sometimes intersect.




Why I am waiting on Windfall? Because it's written by Jennifer E. Smith. But seriously, JES is one of my favorite contemporary authors. All her books have brought me an immense amount of happiness, and she has never let me down. Even when I thought she was going to let me down (ahem, Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between), she didn't. So, when I heard Smith had a new book coming out this year, I had a little celebration.


Aside from simply being written by Smith, the story sounds like a winner. We have an unrequited crush on a best friend, and a winning lottery ticket. I am really interested in seeing how the lottery part plays out. I have read so many stories in the news about lottery winners and all the ways their lives change, and I am eager to see how JES works that with a best friends type story. It also seems like both MCs are sort of broken by their pasts: Alice being orphaned, and Teddy being abandoned. 

I have a feeling this is going to be another fantastic Jennifer E. Smith book, will leave me with a perma-grin, and bring me to my warm-and-fuzzy happy place. 






What are you waiting on?
Let us know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Minions AND Homer? Must be good! :D I got an email about this book recently. I've not read anything by Smith, but I'll bite, with this one. I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Have a great week, Sam. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a super-fan of JES! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete