Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday: Haunting the Deep - Adriana Mather

Can’t-Wait Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Tessa at Wishful Endings that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.



This week I can't wait for Haunting the Deep by Adriana Mather.

Haunting the Deep
Adriana Mather
Series: How to Hang a Witch, #2
Release Date: Oct 3, 2017
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Waited on by: Sam

The Titanic meets the delicious horror of Ransom Riggs and the sass of Mean Girls in this follow-up to the #1 New York Times bestseller How to Hang a Witch, in which a contemporary teen finds herself a passenger on the famous “ship of dreams”—a story made all the more fascinating because the author’s own relatives survived the doomed voyage.

Samantha Mather knew her family’s connection to the infamous Salem Witch Trials might pose obstacles to an active social life. But having survived one curse, she never thought she’d find herself at the center of a new one.

This time, Sam is having recurring dreams about the Titanic . . . where she’s been walking the deck with first-class passengers, like her aunt and uncle. Meanwhile, in Sam’s waking life, strange missives from the Titanic have been finding their way to her, along with haunting visions of people who went down with the ship.

Ultimately, Sam and the Descendants, along with some help from heartthrob Elijah, must unravel who is behind the spell that is drawing her ever further into the dream ship . . . and closer to sharing the same grim fate as its ghostly passengers.




I was really excited when I heard Mather was writing another Witch book. I greatly enjoyed How to Hang a Witch, and I am hoping that lightning strikes twice.

I am the first generation American on my father's side and only the third on my mother's, so I am always in awe of people with deep, deep roots in American history. I find it incredible, that Mather (12th generation!) had family associated with such prolific parts of American history as the Salem Witch Trials, the Titanic, the Mayflower, and the American Revolution.

Here's hoping Mather delivers another genre-bending mystery with a dash of history.









What are you waiting on?
Let us know in the comments!

24 comments:

  1. So I haven't read the first one but I DO adore witch books, so I probably should check them both out sometime right?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover, and of all things I did imagine a Salem Wtich trials and the Titantic plot! Great pick! Here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/blog/2017/05/03/waiting-oncant-wait-wednesday-girl-kellers-way/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize where Mather was going with this series, and now I am sort of excited.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, I don't think I've seen this book before! I love the cover. I'll definitely have to check this one out. :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited about the direction Mather is taking this, by bringing us to a totally different time period with the Descendants

      Delete
  4. Wow, love the sound of this one! I remember How to Hang a Witch but never picked that one up. October seems so far away, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like it may be more a companion, and that you can read it without reading the first one, but the first one was a great.

      Delete
  5. I loved How To Hang a Witch, so I am dying to read Haunting the Deep! I hope we both love it :D Fabulous pick!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty excited to catch up with Sam and the Descendants.

      Delete
  6. I love witches and am looking forward to this one as well. I own the first one but never got around to reading it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have to read the first one to enjoy this one, but I really liked it, and the whole Salem Witch history was cool to read about from Mather's perspective.

      Delete
  7. 'How To Hang A Witch' has been on my TBR pile for quite some time now and this seems so exciting! The cover is also gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is great. I think it does such a good job capturing the appropriate mood of the book.

      Delete
  8. Oooh! That cover looks awesome! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. When I was going through either NG or EW, I stopped when I saw this cover, and then realized it was part of a series I like.

      Delete
  9. I love witch books but I haven't read the first book in the series. This does sound like a good story. I hope you love it once you get the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds more like a companion, but I cannot confirm or deny that.

      Delete
  10. The Titanic and witches, an interesting combination. The cover creeps me out a little! I suppose that is an intended effect. :D I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a lovely week, Sam. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if witches are in this book. I think the series comes from the involvement of the Descendants, who are all related to people from the witch trials, but hey, I only know as much as the blurb told me. =)

      Delete
  11. Wow that cover. Very atmospheric... and sounds like a haunting story also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think the cover really captures the mood of a doomed ocean liner

      Delete
  12. Wow, normally I'm so on the ball with books about witches, but I totally missed this series! Thanks for putting it on my radar, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book centered around the Salem Witch Trials. So, lots of witchy stuff. Not sure how that will be incorporated into this one with the Titanic, but I love the way Mather wove the history and her family history in the HTHAW 1, and am looking forward to more of that in this book.

      Delete