Friday, May 26, 2017

Review: Amish Guys Don't Call - Debby Dodds

Amish Guys Don't Call
Debby Dodds
Series: n/a
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Blue Moon Publishers
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Goodreads

Samantha is already facing scrutiny and anxiety at the start of her junior year, as she's finally been accepted into the popular girls' clique called "The Sherpas." But when she realizes that her new boyfriend Zach was raised Amish, Sam must tackle a whole new set of challenges! Zach has chosen not to end his Rumspringa, instigating a potential shunning from his family. Not only that, but Sam's new friends can't miss this opportunity to tease and torment her.
Sam has never really come to terms with her parents' divorce, so when her world crashes down on her in the form of cyberbullying and Zach's apparent return to the Amish community, she reverts to old, illegal habits. Does Sam even want friends like these? And, will her culture-crossed love with Zach find a way?
Following her parents divorce and a scape with the law, Samantha and her mother relocate from Philadelphia to Lancaster AKA Dutch Country. While she is attempting to navigate a complicated social structure, she meets Zach, who may be “the guy” she needs to accomplish Plan P — the search for her first boyfriend. While everything else in her world appears to be unravelling, Samantha also begins to worry that Zach may return to his Amish life. Will yet another person leave her behind?

When I saw this title, I was very intrigued. As a kid, I visited Dutch Country often, have quite a love for shoofly pie, and been interested in the ways of the Amish. This was an interesting portrayal, because Dodd opted to show all sides of the Amish. She shared the good things and the bad things. I thought she did a good job weaving these info bites throughout the story.

In fact, Dodd tries to show multiple perspectives on many of the issues in the book. I appreciate that approach, because it gives me something to consider and think about by presenting multiple angles. I really enjoyed Dodd’s afterword, where explained some of the choices she made in the book, as well as her inspiration. It confirmed things I thought, and also cleared up other things.

I really liked both Samantha and Zach. I found that they complemented each other quite well, and shared a lot of common issues. I honestly felt Zach brought a little more to the table, as his different experiences often helped Samantha see things with in a different light. It was pretty great how he could share parts of his culture with her in order to help give her clarity.

The romance between those two was very sweet and endearing. I loved seeing it slowly unfold, and the more time they spent together, the more each of them healed from their pasts.

I love a good redemption arc, and Dodd allowed so many characters to redeem themselves. There were a lot of character behaving badly in this book. Sam’s father left without a trace, while her mother was playing some kind of part-time role. Her friend was divulging her secrets and allowing them to be used against her, while another so-called friend was cyberbullying Sam. Sam also had her moments of bad behavior, but then someone stepped in, and set the redemption ball in motion. So, although there is the poor parenting and mean girls stuff, these characters all grew and changed for the better over the course of this book, and I am always glad to see that.

I found this to be a sweet and charming story of first love, friendship, and family.


**I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of this book. Quotes are from an ARC and may change upon publication.









Have you ever been to Dutch Country?
Let us know in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a sweet story. I'm not sure there's enough there that really grabs me, but I do like the fact that there seems to be a lot of growth for Sam. I find the Amish community interesting and it's good that Dodds chose to show different sides of the lifestyle.
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely had some really cute, fun parts and some thoughtful parts too. I found the author's afterword interesting, as she justified some of her choices in the book

      Delete
  2. Sounds like there is really a lot going on in this one. It does sound like a cute read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. There were some really great parts, that I wish Dodds had focused on more, but when I read her afterword, at least I had some insight into some of her choices. Overall, cute, though.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'd not heard of this book! I've been to Lancaster County though - there is a Dutch market that we used to visit once a year or so. Now I really want to go back. O_O The romance sounds good, though I think the mean-girls bit would have made me furious. I'm glad you enjoyed this book overall, Sam!

    Have a wonderful weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was reading this, it made me want some ShooFly pie. =)

      Delete
  4. Nope, never been to Amish country unfortunately. This sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was overall cute. 3 stars because there were a few things that didn't totally work for me, but a good debut from Words, nonetheless. I live within an hour of PA Dutch Country, so it was a staple growing up.

      Delete
  5. I love the title of this one!!! Sounds so cute too. Sorry it was only a 3 star, but it sounds like it might still be a fun read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad. A 3-star read means I liked it, but there were a few small issues. Overall, I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. How have I not heard of this, especially since we seem to have very similar taste?!? Glad that you (mostly) liked it!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I am so disappointed that we are out of sync. I know our reading paths will cross again soon. =)

      Delete