Monday, June 26, 2017

Review: Who's That Girl - Blair Thornburgh

Who's That Girl
Blair Thornburgh
Series: n/a
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads 
Junior Nattie McCullough is totally OK with her place in life: Latin whiz. Member of the school’s gay-straight alliance. Joni Mitchell superfan. Seventeen-year-old who has never been kissed. So when last summer’s crush and her former classmate—Young Lungs lead singer Sebastian Delacroix—comes back to town with his new hit single “Natalie,” she can’t bring herself to believe it could possibly be about her…could it?

As Nattie sorts through the evidence (the lyrics, Sebastian’s elusive text messages, and their brief romantic encounter last year), the song’s popularity skyrockets, and everyone starts speculating about “Natalie’s” identity. If that wasn’t mortifying enough, Nattie runs into another problem: her confusing, flirtation-packed feelings for her good friend Zach. With her once-average life upended, Nattie is determined to figure out once and for all if her short-lived past with Sebastian was something love songs are made of—or just a one-hit wonder.
This was a super-cute rom-com that had me laughing out loud and often. I am pretty sure I wore a smile from the beginning until the end of this book. I am of lover of all things fun and cute and this one really delivered.

Things I loved:

  • Nattie was adorable, quirky, a little nerdy, and a bit awkward. I really enjoyed her Lucy-esq antics, and that she was just so normal. Her emotions, fears, and joys were so commonplace. It was easy to relate to her. 
  • Nattie's friends were such a wonderful, eclectic group. I adored listening in on their conversations. There was some great banter going on here, and it was often very amusing. Her squad was very special and as Nattie was dealing with all these emotions, I was glad she had her squad there to support her. They were all special, but Tess stood out, because she played such a huge role in the secondary plot. I liked that Thornburgh made her a little more than a sidekick, and I had a mile-wide smile when her big plot line was fulfilled. 
  • Another wonderful group of people in Nattie's world was her family. The quirky apple didn't fall far from the tree here. We get lots of laughs with each visit to her parents and her "brother", foreign exchange student, Sam. They were all very warm and open, and their home seemed like a lovely place to grow up. I really liked that her relationship with Sam evolved a little over the course of the book, and that it may have been stronger than she had anticipated. Lots of warm and fuzzy feels on the family front here. 
  • The romance was adorable. It was a total slow burn, with one party being totally oblivious to its existence! There were so many times that I wanted to shake some sense into Nattie and tell her to open her eyes. But alas, these things take time, and that just made it so much sweeter when it finally happened. 
I will not lie, the main plot hardly mattered to me, as I was enraptured by this lovely group of people that Thornburgh assembled. Who's That Girl was a fun story of love, friendship, family, and being oneself, which kept me jolly and fully entertained. 


**I would like to thank the publisher for the advanced copy of this book.








There is a lot of baking while doing Latin homework in this book. All the baking sort of made me hungry. I don't really like to bake, but I do like to eat home-baked goods.

Do you like to bake?
Let us know in the comments!

14 comments:

  1. Is baking actually in this book? Hahah I had to do a double take. Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't see any traces of it in the review. Anyway, yes I do, but cleaning up is a pain! Sounds like a fun read! Thanks for the review.

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zach bakes a lot in this book, and there are many bakes sales too. I think I don't like to cook in general, because there is a lot of clean up for 10 minutes of eating

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to see your review of this one. Makes me even more excited for it. I requested it from Edelweiss but have yet to hear anything back so I might just have to wait for release day. (The nerve! LOL) I love the sound of the cast of characters and the slow burn romance. Can't wait to dive in to this one! Great review, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cute, and I think many readers will enjoy the diversity. I hope you get approved soon. 😊

      Delete
  3. This one is new to me! It sounds super cute!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cute. The main plot was more background for me personally, because I just fell in love with all the friends and family and their antics. Fun, cute, sweet.

      Delete
  4. Okay I saw this title and I immediately thought of that Madonna song Who's That Girl! Anyway- it's a good book when the author can sweep you into the characters' lives like that. Her family and circle of friends sound great! Glad this was such a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I kept singing that song, and every time I saw the title, I broke into song again. I agree. I am a character driven reader, so it's of the utmost importance for me.

      Delete
  5. These characters sound just amazing. Glad to see that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of cute and quirky, but when something major happened, they were real too.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a great book. I love all the banter and humor aspects I always find those books easier to read. I also love all the relationships between the characters. Great review! I need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun and cute, but had a lot of heart. You had the bumbling part, but the friendships and some of the things the auxiliary characters were dealing with were heavier, and I loved the way Thornburgh balanced that.

      Delete
  7. I really like the sounds of this. It's my kind of cute read. I love when there is a slowburn romance where someone is totally oblivious to what's going on. This is a great review for a book I'd not heard anything about. And that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, fun and cute are two of the most important characteristics in a book. You can definitely call this a slow burn, as they talk about a spark several years prior and then "just friends". I am such a cover-ho and I agree, this one is great.

      Delete