Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Can't-Wait Wednesday: The Impossibility of Us

Can’t-Wait Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week I can't wait for The Impossibility of Us!

The Impossibility of Us
Katy Upperman
Series: n/a
Release Date: July 31, 2018
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Waited on by: Sam
The last thing Elise wants is to start her senior year in a new town. But after her brother’s death in Afghanistan, she and her mother move from San Francisco to a sleepy coastal village.

When Elise meets Mati, they quickly discover how much they have in common. Mati is new to town too, visiting the U.S. with his family. Over the course of the summer, their relationship begins to blossom, and what starts out as a friendship becomes so much more.

But as Elise and Mati grow closer, her family becomes more and more uncomfortable with their relationship, and their concerns all center on one fact—Mati is Afghan.

Beautifully written, utterly compelling, and ultimately hopeful, THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF US asks—how brave can you be when your relationship is questioned by everyone you love?
I got so many wonderful books from BEA last year, but I was most excited, when Swoon Reads had a copy of Kissing Max Holden waiting for me. I really wanted to read this book, and I was not disappointed. Upperman wrote a contemporary romance, which featured complex characters dealing with some heavy issues, and she navigated their complicated lives really well, while delivering a wonderful romance.

Since my first experience was so good, I immediately added this book to my TBR even before it had a description, but now that I have read the synopsis, I know I need to read this book. There's pain and grief and a clash of cultures,  which hints at a Romeo and Juliet kind of story. When a couple has to battle barriers erected by society and their families, it just makes me want to be there to cheer them on as they fight for each other.

File this under "need it now", because I am so eager to get my hands on this book.












What are you waiting on?
Let us know in the comments!

35 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love the sounds of this one! Elise and Mati sounds so perfect for each other, I would sooo root for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind a good R&J retelling! I'm not big on YA contemporary but I have had good experiences with Swoon Reads' titles. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fantastic day, Sam. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swoon Reads has been very, very good to me, so I feel like it could work for me.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, this is going to break your heart, isn't it? Emotional pick, Sam! I want to draw hearts around the couple on the cover lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always crying from these books, and I love it!

      Delete
  4. Wow, i've seen this one around but for some reason never read the synopsis which is a shame because this sounds AMAZING. I love finding new contemporaries with all types of people and their own situations and this one sounds phenomenal. Lovely pick! :)

    Here's my Can't-Wait Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contemporaries are my favorite and contemporary romances are my most favorite, so this was an easy pick for me.

      Delete
  5. I'm really interested in how they will handle the barriers from their family too. Adding to my tbr! I still need to read Kissing Max Holden as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of like when the drama is not between the hero and heroine, but surrounds them, like with family drama, and it was more or less like that in Max Holden too, which was a plus for me.

      Delete
  6. I love the cover! This one looks great and I am glad to see the author did great with harder issues before. I hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upperman does a good job with balancing the heavy and the light, which is the way I really like my books.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to visit BEA one year. I don't know if I could handle all the books that would end up on my TBR though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My co-bloggers went to BEA for years. I only went in Chicago, since we flew there for BookCon (which I have always attended). It was really intense, hence, why I sent my co-blogger alone the following year.

      Delete
  8. I don't read a lot of contemporary books but I do hope you love this one when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol that gif is fantastic. This one definitely looks good!

    Here's our WOW http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2018/04/waiting-on-wednesday-ash-princess-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh this looks good! Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute pick! Not my kind of read but I hope you will positively adore this one once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does seem to have a Romeo & Juliet esqe vibe, doesn't it? Sounds like a very good one! Will keep an eye out for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not the only one feeling R&J with this one.

      Delete
  13. Swoon has been hit and miss with me, but this sounds really good. I hope you love it!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten really lucky and picked the right ones, because I have yet to be disappointed.

      Delete
  14. I am in love with everything about this one! I have yet to read a Katy Upperman novel. Maybe this will be the first. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Upperman's debut, and know this one will be a great read for me.

      Delete
  15. Ooh I hope it's good. I can see the cultural barrier being tough here given her brothers' death. Sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really timely and interesting angle Upperman is taking, and I can't wait to see how she does it.

      Delete
  16. I just saw this one on NetGalley today! I hope you enjoy it, Sam. It sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The dreaded "wish" book. I have not been really lucky with those, so I am sad.

      Delete
  17. I like the Romeo and Juliet vibe this has as well. The clash of cultures is very relevant too. Even though I'm always high and miss when it comes to romance, I could see myself liking this one. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romance is my favorite. I have not had any issues with YA romances, but I have DNFed a few adult ones.

      Delete