Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sundays with Sam - The Sunday Post

Sundays with Sam is a combination of Sunday Post hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer and Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews.

My Week in Review

I worked my first 5-day week in over a month, and though work went smoothly, my commute was even more of a struggle than normal. One day I had to go west to Trenton in order to switch to the eastbound side and get my train home, because the trains were bypassing my stop. NJ Transit is the gift that keeps on giving.

I was really overwhelmed with my discussion post this week. It's so awesome to have so many interactions. So, thanks to all of you, who stopped by and weighed in on the topic. ❤️πŸŒΈπŸ¦„


On the Blog:
On the Internet:


  • For those of us, who love books set in prep schools: 10 Prep School Page-Turners
  • Do you bookstagram? Here is a list of 14 Essential Props Every Bookstagrammer Needs
And how about that Queen of Air and Darkness trailer?


STACKING THE SHELVES


Bought/Free
Edelweiss/NetGalley



Macmillan really came through this week for me with two of my most anticipated reads. Needless to say, I was pretty excited when I got those emails.
What I Read Last Week


There is only one 5-star read in the bunch, and technically, I finished it last week (Saturday night), but I think Obsidio absolutely deserved it. The series was rock solid, and I will miss this world.
  • Obsidio by Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman: A fantastic ending to one of my favorite series. I was surprised by how emotional I was. I cried a whole slew of tears as I read this book, but I was really satisfied with the ending. ★★★★★
  • Steal by Rachel Van Dyken (audiobook): This was quite the angsty second chance romance, but it also had a lot of fun moments mixed in with the pain of the past. If this was my last trip to Seaside, I would say it was a good one. ★★★ 1/2
  • Other People's Houses by Abbi Waxman: As I started reading this, I immediately got this Desperate Housewives vibe, and I loved it. Waxman did a great job weaving the lives of these neighbors together, and I adored the main narrator, Frances, so much. Her observations on parenthood and getting older were so relatable. The story was funny, witty, painful, and even touching. I will definitely read more by Waxman. ★★★ 1/2
  • Now a Major Motion Picture by Cori McCarthy: I love stories that bring us into fandoms, and this one was so much fun. McCarthy gave us a great cast and story which had romance, friendship, and family drama, all of which kept me flipping the pages. And the epilogue was all too fabulous. ★★★★
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding: What a wonderful and adorable story of first love! Spalding did such an amazing job capturing that sunshine feel of young long, and I really liked being able to see this romance unfold. ★★★★
  • Bad at Love by Karina Halle (audiobook): A fun and sexy friends-to-more story, which had a bit of drama, but a ton of laughs. ★★★ 1/2
  • Someday, Somewhere by Lindsay Champion: It was easy to like both the main characters in this story, and their pain became my pain. Both were struggling in very different ways, and fate bringing them together helped them get on the right paths. The ending left me a little wanting, but it was satisfying. ★★★★
  • Play by Kylie Scott (audiobook): I loved Mal in the first book, and was happy to get his story. He was dealing with some heavy personal issues, and was sort of losing his grip. Thank goodness he embarked on a fake relationship with Anne, because she ended up being his anchor.  A great fun, flirty, and heartfelt addition to the series. ★★★ 1/2
  • Rebel with a Cupcake by Anna Mainwaring: This was a rather fun slice-of-life story starring a  plus-sized girl, with a plus-sized personality that won me over instantly. Jess' body confidence was slipping, and her struggle with body image is something I think a lot of people could relate to. Jess had this Georgia Nicholson vibe, which I loved, and I couldn't getting enough of her musings. ★★★ 1/2
What I Am Currently Reading


I started both books this morning, and so far, so good. Ledi, from A Princess in Theory, is so awesome. Every time she drops an MF, I get a grin on my face, and I the book keeps making Coming to America pop into my head, which I think is a good thing. Jacked Up takes us to a religious camp, where Nick is sent in order for him to deal with his sister's death. I am really eager to get more information regarding her death, and the guilt Nick is dealing with, which is manifesting itself in the form of Jack Kerouac.
What I Plan to Read


I have been wanting to read the Eleanor Ames series for a while, and when I got an ARC for the second book, I thought it was a sign. The Frontman is set in the 80s, my favorite era, and All Out of Pretty is another debut, which sounds promising.








How was your week?
Let us know in the comments!

57 comments:

  1. I love Coming to America, therefore A Princess Theory sounds pretty good to me XD You have so many nice new books. My So Called Bollywood Life is calling out to me. Enjoy them, Sam!

    My weekend post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely enjoying the vibe win A Princess in Theory, and will definitely have to check out more of Cole's books. I was thrilled when I got the email about Bollywood Life. It sounds so good.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed Obsidio :) I could actually preorder it on Kindle now, but I can't cause they won't let you preorder with gift card money xD gah. And I have no card on there. And I'm not going to, cause that's DANGEROUS xD nothing would stop me from buying more books then :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I read Obsidio in physical book form. That series is really graphic, and the pictures are always too small on the kindle for me. Though, I heard the audiobooks are incredible.

      Delete
  3. NJ Transit is the WORST. Yay for Obsidio. I really need to get to it. Enjoy all your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New ad: NJT and Amtrak making me miserable together. I had Obsidio for two weeks before I read it. I wasn't rushing. I probably wouldn't even have it yet, if I had not attended the signing. I think you will be happy with the ending though.

      Delete
  4. Oh nice new reads! Totally new to me ones! I hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so happy you liked Obsidio! I still need to read that one. I hope you have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not usually this quick with series enders, because I hate leaving the a world I loved, but I am glad opportunity put the book in my hands sooner than later.

      Delete
  6. It really is the best feeling when people connect with your discussion posts! I always enjoy reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I am still kind of shocked, because discussion posts are so hard for me.

      Delete
  7. Everyone seems to have loved Obsidio. That says a lot for that series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is excellent, and I am not an SFF person. So, I think getting a contemporary reader to love the series says a lot too.

      Delete
  8. That commute sounds so frustrating! I'm sorry it was such a meh week. But you did read some fun books! I can't wait for Nisha Sharma's book. I'm pumped for Bollywood Life, but more excited about her adult series! And eep! So glad you're reading A Princess in Theory!
    I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving A Princess in Theory. Ledi is such an great character, and I am getting into the swoony bits now too.

      Delete
  9. Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about your commute problems. I can't believe they kept bypassing your stop. Thanks for linking to that prep school book list. I've read 4 out of the 10 so obviously I have some reading to get to. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Other People's Houses. I received a copy through First to Read but for some reason my download just won't work :( I'm hoping my library gets a copy in. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the First to Read program, but the format is a headache for me. I didn't even request on the last go, though I really wanted Anderson's new book and had been DENIED on EW for it.

      Delete
  10. I'm waiting to get the print copy of Obsidio. I have the first two and want to complete the set. And they are so much better to read that way with all of the illustrations. Glad you enjoyed it! That commute sounds dreadful. I'm so glad I don't have to go through that and sorry that uou had a tough one.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever read a physical book, but The Illuminae File warrant it, because they are so graphic. Though, I heard the audiobooks are ah-mazing.

      Delete
  11. I cannot imagine how irritating NJ transit must be! Sorry! I'm so insanely excited for The Queen of Air and Darkness!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending of the last book was so heartbreaking. I just know there is going to be something huge and heart wrenching coming in TQoAaD.

      Delete
  12. Oooh I'm seeing Julie Cross in your stack and on your TBR! It's been so long since I read one of her books, and she's one of my favorite authors when it comes to romance. Is Chasing Truth a romance/does it have romance??? Also so jealous that you got My So-Called Bollywood Life!

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading her Juniper Falls books and I really liked them, so I took a chance, and I am really enjoying Eleanor Ames so far. It does have romance, which is really important for me. Hey, I know what I like.

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, your commute sounds terrible. πŸ˜• Your new books look really good though, enjoy. Hope next weeks commute is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of like my job, and I love my management team and my co-workers, but my commute is terrible. I was spoiled working 6 mins from my house for over 10 years. I know lots of people do this too, but it's wearing me down.

      Delete
  14. I'm so excited to read The Dark Artifices series! I have the first two on the shelf waiting but I'm waiting until December for the final book before even thinking about going there, lol. Cassandra Clares cliffhangers break me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! That's a lot of continuous reading. I hope the spoilers didn't reach you, because I had a big thing spoiled for me at BookCon last year for LoS. I was so mad.

      Delete
  15. OH I'm so sorry to hear about the stupid commute :/ I know what it's like, mine is the worst as well and it's so annoying and tiring, having to deal with it every day :/ Best of luck for it, you can do this <3
    I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Obsidio so much, and Someday, Somewhere also sounds so lovely! :)
    I hope you'll have a lovely week <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commutes are terrible. They need to work on teleporting immediately. I had a feeling Obsidio would be fabulous.

      Delete
  16. I'm so sorry about your commute issues. I use the train a lot and sadly it never arrives on time. It's so stressful! I'm always late because they can't keep up a schedule!

    Thank you for sharing the link about books set on prep schools. It's one of favourite settings.

    Happy readings! ;)
    TΓ’nia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the Swiss are always on time. I need to move there. XD I love prep school books too. I really wanted to send my daughter to one, but year, $30K a year was too much for me.

      Delete
  17. Off to check out the 10 Prep School Page-Turners :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Baltimore transit is pretty rocky sometimes too... our metro shut down for an entire month without notice, it was so bad. I rely on the metro to get to work so I was kind of stuck. But the trains are running again so I guess it's okay. Still frustrating. :/

    I loved Getting Lucky Number Seven! Such a sweet romance. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a fantastic week, Sam. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thinking about driving to work for a month is making me a little ill. We almost had a strike, but it was averted at the last minute. I read a Madsen book not too long ago, and I really enjoyed it. So, Madsen plus sports should be a good read for me.

      Delete
  19. It's great when posts get lots of attention, but it can definitely be overwhelming trying to respond to lots of comments! Glad you had some good reads too, even a 5 star! I still haven't had any 5-stars yet this year (though I've had a few 4.5s at least). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's April!!! We need to find you a 5-star read. And yeah, a post getting a lot of interaction makes me feel like I am doing something right as a blogger.

      Delete
  20. The Frontman looks really good. I like books set in the 80's and 90's. Wow, you got a lot read last week! That's awesome. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a teen in the 80s, so I always enjoying going back to that time period.

      Delete
  21. I am so happy that I have such a short commute. I could actually walk to work since I live 3.5 miles away. I am always amazed by how many books you are able to get through in a week. I wish I had your super reading skills :) Have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my 6 minute commute so much. Now that I know my daughter is moving to a city I have no interest living in, I should really look for a job closer to home. But, so lazy. The audiobooks have definitely helped me with my TBR, and I read mostly contemporaries. They are not as long as sic-fi and fantasy books.

      Delete
  22. Ugh that transit situation does not sound like fun. And yay for the discussion post- always nice to see everyone's thoughts. Glad you liked Obsidio! I did too, and thought it was a pretty great end to the series.

    My So- Called Bollywood Life and Game of secrets look very promising to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great discussion. A lot of good thoughts exchanged there. The "new" couple wasn't featured as prominently in Obsidio as the couples had been in the past books, but I loved so many other things - more Kady and Ezra, Kady's dad for the win, and really getting to the root of all the chaos. I had an ARC of Gemina, and a lot of the artwork was missing. I loved getting to see what these characters looked like.

      Delete
  23. NJ transit is the gift that keeps on giving. It is also amazing the cost that they charge. I have Royally Matched by Emma Chase and can't wait to read that one. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have 3 of the Royally books (2 books, 1 novella). Now I just have to commit to starting the series.

      Delete
  24. The commuting woes sound terrible. Hopefully this week is much better. Makes me thankful for my own easy commute, for sure. Love seeing Royally Matched! I just adored Henry and Sarah’s story. I keep meaning to try something by Kylie Scott but it hasn’t happened yet. All I’ve read from her is Trust, her YA novel last year. I definitely want to read more. I’ve seen so many raves for A Princess in Theory. And I’m still giggling at the Coming to America comparison. (And having flashbacks of Sexual Chocolate! LOL) Hope your week is off to a great start, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am insanely jealous of all people with an short commute. I used to teach 6 mins from my house. I don't miss teaching, but I miss my commute. I have been laughing a whole bunch during A Princess in Theory. I love the sassy, smart heroine and there's a lot of substance to the characters too. I have had so many Coming to American moments while listening to it.

      Delete
  25. Oh wow, NJ Transit sounds like an absolute nightmare.

    A Princess in Theory sounds like a fun read. I love your comparison to Coming to America and will be looking forward to your review.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Princess in Theory is so delightful. I was laughing a ton today while I was listening to it.

      Delete
  26. Ooo Game of Secrets sounds like my kind of read. *eagerly puts it on TBR list*. Hope you enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it on my TBR because I always enjoy books set in that time period and then there is some kind of X-Men vibe I am getting - BONUS!

      Delete
  27. I am having a hard time getting into A Princess in Theory... LOL This book sort of reminds me of The Prince and Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it has some of that too, but I cannot for the life of me get Eddie Murphy and Coming to America out of my head. I am listening to the audiobook, and I think the narrator is doing a fabulous job.

      Delete
  28. Yay for the overwhelming response to your discussion post! I will be adding my two cents in a minute. Ha ha. I hope your week had a great start. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh no, it seems I've passed on the curse of the travel gods to you! It sucks when your commute just does not want to cooperate. I hope you got plenty of reading done if nothing else on your travels. Look at all the books you've read and the new ones you plan to read! Yay for reading, I hope your commute improves soon for you. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself of the silver lining, that I get a lot of reading in. I hope the temporary platforms are gone soon, because they I should be on time more often.

      Delete