Saturday, September 7, 2013

Stuffed Animal Saturday [3]

Stuffed Animal Saturday is a meme that we post here at We Live and Breathe Books every two weeks to showcase the book we're currently reading with one of our favorite stuffed animals and discuss our stuffed animal's opinion (well, it's really our opinion, but that's besides the point). We hope you enjoy our quirky feature as much as we enjoy writing it!

Hey it's Marlon here and since I don't have any stuffed animals because I'm a terrible human being, I'll be using my guitar, Jessie, for this experiment (I'll steal a few stuffed animals for other books but for now, I refuse to do so because stuffed animals and I do not get along). Jessie and I are currently reading Thomas Paine's Common Sense.

So Far: Jessie rather likes Paine's words, and how easy they are to understand, especially for a lower middle-class, working guitar like himself. Unfortunately, since Jessie is a guitar and therefore cannot read for himself, I must do so, and though I love Paine, there is some rather confusing syntax (it was written like forever and a half ago, probably before dinosaurs; I suspect this Thomas Paine is a cultured and revolutionary Pterodactyl). It is a short essay but because Jessie does not understand the meaning of getting to the point, I've had to read through the tough, dry introduction by the editor. Sigh.

A Sneak Peek: 
Time makes more converts than reason.
Oh boy does Jessie love this. No amount of logic can immediately lift someone out of believing anything at all. But time begets the ultimate experience; it teaches us even as we are unwilling to learn. Jessie really loves the political and social bits of this book and it's a must read for any cultured human being (just kidding, but it's a kicker to cite it in most history classes and it's written by a pterodactyl!).

- Marlon

Are you and your stuffed animal reading anything interesting?
Let us know in your own Stuffed Animal Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment