Thursday, May 21, 2015

ARC Review: The Witch Hunter - Virginia Boecker

The Witch Hunter
Virginia Boecker 
Series: The Witch Hunter, #1
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, Historical Fiction
Release Date: June 2, 2015
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Thanks to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for the eARC I received via NetGalley!

When I started reading The Witch Hunter, I had no idea how much the characters and stories would grow on me. I was really worried about reading this right after finishing Champion (such a good finale), but I had nothing to worry about - I loved The Witch Hunter!

The Witch Hunter is about a witch hunter who ends up accused of being a witch and sentenced to burn at the stake. She ends up receiving help from the most powerful wizard around, and throughout the book, she is forced to reevaluate what she's always thought about magic.

I really enjoyed the characters in The Witch Hunter. Elizabeth, the main character, was interesting because she was a mix of the stereotypical tough heroine and an average, vulnerable girl - she's basically lost everything and sometimes she gives up, but she's still tough and ready to fight you if you give her a hard time. John was a really interesting character as well, although I wish there had been more of him to help support some of the other plot elements. One character who I liked a lot, even though he wasn't a huge character, was George. George was so fun. I want more George in book two.

While I enjoyed the characters, I loved the plot and how the character's actions drove the plot forward. There was never a point where I felt like characters were making out-of-character choices for the plot to progress - it all flowed together seamlessly. The plot was also super fast paced - I never wanted to put it down!

Overall, I was really impressed by The Witch Hunter and how much I ended up loving it. I cannot tell you how much I want the next book, and the first one hasn't even come out yet! I can't wait to see what Virginia Boecker has in store for the rest of this series! I highly recommend this to fans of fantasy involving witches.

- Kiersten

What was the last book that exceeded your expectations?
Let us know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I am always a little leery of the BIG-hyped books, but I did tag in for a few of those hyped books and was quite impressed. I really enjoyed The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. It was riveting. I also am not normally a fan of short stories, but I found I really loved most of the one in My True Love Gave to Me.

    ReplyDelete