Saturday, March 19, 2016

Review: The Blood of Olympus - Rick Riordan

The Blood of Olympus
Rick Riordan
Series: The Heroes of Olympus, #5
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Adventure, Romance
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads 

I usually don't write reviews directly after I finish a book, mostly because I need some time to really think about how I feel about it but also because I'm such a procrastinator that I always put it off. But today, the day I have finished reading The Blood of Olympus only minutes ago, I must write my review because I have a lot of feels that need to come out right now.

Non-spoilery feels first.

It's been a while since I read The House of Hades, or any of the Percy Jackson or Heroes of Olympus books for that matter. Once I started reading The Blood of Olympus after waiting such a long time to do so, I remembered one thing that always made me reluctant to read these books without brushing up on the last ones: Rick Riordan doesn't really do the whole casually remind you what happened in the previous books right away thing, which is great if you just read the last book, but is sort of disorienting after over two years away. Eventually I remembered what was going on, but it took a while.

It was really nice to dive into this book and be comforted by the fact that it was as fun and witty as I remembered all these books being, especially with some old friends. I will forever love how well Rick Riordan balances action with heartfelt moments in his books. It's just so perfect, and I can't get over it. For real.

Overall, I feel like this was an excellent ending to the series (with an exception that I will expand on in the spoilery section), giving closure on almost everything that has been building up over the 5-10 book story arc for these characters. It's sort of bittersweet to say goodbye to these characters, but it has been such a thrilling ride, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of them at some point, even if it's just a short story. I highly recommend both the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Heroes of Olympus series for those who have not read them! They are superb and worth every moment spent reading them.







Now for the spoilery feels. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
May also contain spoilers for The Legend of Korra television series.




THAT ENDING. RICK, REALLY?

 photo rick roll_zpsuzuhva0s.gif

Honestly, I feel like I've been Rick-rolled with that ending though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with the ending, it's just that after ten books (granted, five with this character - although Calypso has been around since Sea of Monsters) I wanted a little more closure on Leo. Everyone else? They all get pretty solid closure! Even Nico gets a potential love interest (honestly, so happy about this he deserves love). Reyna, could have gotten a little more but she was sort of a minor character for most of the series, so I guess it's ok. But Leo?! Why is it that Leo always gets the short end of the stick in this series. I feel like he's always forgotten, like Rick Riordan actually forgot to write Leo's ending and then was like, "OH, YEA! THAT OTHER CHARACTER!" Seriously. Couldn't have gotten a nice reunion with the other demigods? This is like The Legend of Korra all over again.

 photo korra ending_zps6qjfk5o9.gif

So, yea, I have a lot of feels about this. I was not prepared for such an abrupt ending. Yes, I am content with this ending, I just feel like it could have been slightly more perfect with just a little bit more.

 photo rick dance_zpssswjuukt.gif

At least this Rick will never make me cry, say goodbye, tell me lies, or hurt me.

- Kiersten

What did you think about The Blood of Olympus?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment