Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Book Tag: Mid-Year Book Freak Out

We are halfway through 2017, and I have read a lot of books, which I would like to reflect on. This tag is based on the books I read between January and June of this year. I have really been enjoying seeing others bloggers' answers for this tag, and now I submit mine.

THE MID-YEAR BOOK FREAK OUT TAG


Best Book You've Read So Far

I sort of do terrible with superlatives, because it is so hard to pick just one. I have been so book-blessed this year! Here are a few of the best books I have read so far (in no particular order)

Best Sequel You've Read So Far

We all know I have issues finishing series, so it should come as no surprise that I have only read about 5 YA sequels. I would say the best of the bunch was Sparks of Light by Janet B. Taylor. I enjoyed this second trip into the Dim, and found the time period they visited quite interesting. Tesla is actually in this book, and he is one of my favorite scientists. That sort of gave this book an edge over all the others.

New Release You Haven't Read Yet, But Want To

I feel like a broken record, but this is an ARC I had wanted sooooooooo bad, and was not lucky enough to get. I have only read stellar reviews for this book, so it just makes me want it more. I really hope to read What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum, and gosh darn it, I am determined to read it before the end of this year.

Most Anticipated Release for the Second Half of 2017

There are so many incredible books coming out from many authors that I love. These are a few I am excited about, which I hadn't already mentioned in my Top Ten Tuesday
  • Warcross by Marie Lu - I am a solid Lu fan. She authored one of my favorite series (Legend) and early reviews are great for this book. 
  • Turtles All the Way Down by John Green - Oh, how I missed Green! It's been quite a while since we have had a new JG book or movie. This one sounds like it is going to be great. 
  • Not Now, Not Ever by Lily Anderson - This is the sequel to The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You and is inspired by The Importance of Being Earnest. So, based on its predecessor, I am hoping for great things. 



















Biggest Disappointment

This book was still good, but it was disappointing in that it did not have the same magic for me that the previous book did. I really loved Passenger, and part of what won my heart, was the dynamic between Etta and Nicholas. They were apart for most of the second book, Wayfarer, and I really missed them being together. Again, it was still good, but it could have been better for me.


Biggest Surprise

I had a few nice surprises, mostly in the form of books I liked a lot more than I expected. One that I want to show some love to is Zenn Diagram by Wendy Brant. This book surprised me, because I had zero expectations going in, and ended up reading a story that I loved so much and left me extremely happy.


Favorite New Author (Debut or New to You)

I have been trying to read a lot of debuts this year, and I have been delighted to get to know some of these new authors. I also finally discovered the greatness of an author, who I had heard so many good things about. So, here are two new favorite authors:
  • Bonnie Pipkin - I read her debut, Aftercare Instructions and was so impressed with the story and the writing. It is among one of my favorite books this year. 
  • Cath Crowley - I had seen a lot of love on blogs for Crowley, and now I finally get it! Words in Deep Blue is another of my favorite reads. Crowley won a part of my heart with that book, and I now have a mission to read her back list. 


Newest Fictional Crush

I read a ton of romance novels, so there is practically a daily crush, but here are three that came to mind first. They all seem to have a similar precious-cupcake vibe to them, which is probably my type since I was burned by all those bad boys when I was younger. ðŸ˜†





















Newest Favorite Character

This one was easy for me: Alosa from Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller. She was such a standout heroine for me. A complete package! Smart, sassy, and a pirate to boot. Loved her and cannot wait to read more of her adventures.


Book That Made You Cry

I am a super sensitive reader. I cry a bunch, both happy and sad tears. Some of the books that reduced me to tears have already been mentioned, and here are a few more books that moved me. All were stories dealing with grief, with the exception of The Radius of Us.














Book That Made You Happy

I love books that make me happy, so I have a long list, but two instantly popped into my head.

Favorite Book to Movie Adaptation You Saw This Year

Confession: I think it has been over two years since I last saw a movie. I find the theatre expensive and I always fall asleep as soon as the lights go out, so I just don't go. I do really want to see Before I Fall based on the book by Lauren Oliver. It's my favorite Oliver book, and when LO was talking about it at BookCon back in 2016, she seemed really excited about the adaptation. Maybe I will catch it on cable or something.


Favorite Review You Have Written

My favorite is probably one of my shortest. I like it, because it was fun to do. It was my review for Maud by Melanie J. Fishbane. I wanted to do three gifs and three quotes that captured my reaction to this precious book, and I was really happy with how it turned out.


Most Beautiful Book You Have Bought/Received This Year

I don't get a lot of physical books. My haul really comes from BEA every year. I would say that Whichwood by Tahereh Mafi is one of the most striking books. I was really caught up in that cover when I saw it.

Books You Need to Read By the End of the Year

Well, I just did a whole post about some books I want to read by the end of this year, and there are a bunch of sequels I hope to get to soon too, but I cannot think of a specific book I need to read.









How is your reading year so far?
Let us know in the comments!

14 comments:

  1. Great list! You have a lot of books on here that are on my TBR list! Also, I am on the same page I can't wait to read What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! A Million Junes is one of my favorites from this year too. I have quite a few of the books you mentioned on my endless tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMJ was just so special. No sophomore slump there.

      Delete
  3. I've read a number of books that were my favorites and some that ended up in my disappointed pile, DNF pile and abandoned pile :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst is when you anticipate a book and it ends in a DNF. That happened to me this year, but not too often.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Zenn Diagram surprised you (in a good way)! Thanks for reading and giving it a shoutout on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Zenn, Eva, and the quads. It was a wonderful story!

      Delete
  5. I really need to read Alex, Approximately soon. I think I even pre-ordered that one but still haven't read it. I didn't get an arc of What to Say Next, either. Never got declined... just never heard anything at all. *sigh* But I'm excited for that since after enjoying Tell Me Three Things so much. I wish I had liked Words in Deep Blue more, but - not every book is going to click with every reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a total Bennett fan after reading Alex. Just lived it. I never got declined or approved for What to Say Next either. Just limbo for me too. 😣

      Delete
  6. Heaps of great books listed! :D <3 Seeing these posts gets me all excited. (Though I'm too lazy to do it myself! Maybe next year...) I'll be reading Wayfarer and Alex, Approximately soon, so I hope that I enjoy the former way more than you did (though the general consensus is that it's dud-ish compared to the first book) and that I also enjoy the latter. :) Great post!

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayfarer has tons of action, it ends a little quietly, but it was an interesting We had Bracken did there. I think it was more that my expectations were not met, because of Etta and Nicholas' separation.

      Delete
  7. I have seen Words In Deep Blue getting love on so many blogs. I guess I should be adding it to my tbr! I agree with you on the Whichwood cover, it is very pretty. This was a fun tag. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read good and bad things about Words in Deep Blue, but I adored it. I am really big on characters, and I really loved the people in this book.

      Delete