Saturday, August 23, 2014

Stuffed Animal Saturday [15]

Stuffed Animal Saturday is a meme that we post here at We Live and Breathe Books to showcase the book we're currently reading with one of our favorite stuffed animals and discuss our stuffed animal's opinion (well, it's really our opinion, but that's besides the point). We hope you enjoy our quirky feature as much as we enjoy writing it!

Wow, this is like the third time Jeremy the bear has been featured on SAS which is kindof disproportionate considering the entire top of my armoire is covered with stuffed animals and then my sister has a whole bunch upstairs but it happens and I've been relocated due to guests so I'm running on limited supplies aka the first stuffed animal I could grab. It's ok, Jeremy is fabulous, especially because he's the only stuffed animal I have that's a handmade Kiersten creation and he's appropriate for this post because it's currently exactly a year after I moved in to college, and he was a graduation present. Also, I am in this picture and please appreciate how adorable I am, like who even needs stuffed animals when you're this cute? Anyway, to counterbalance the cuteness, Jeremy and I are reading an intense book (well, actually just finished reading last night): Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant, the ARC of which I got signed at BEA!

So Far: Like I said, we just finished the book last night and we thought it was absolutely phenomenal! Jeremy tends to ramble but I'm going to stop him because I want to save it for the review, although I will say that it was unlike any book I've ever read. I definitely have a lot to say about it!

Jeremy thinks the characters are all really interesting and diverse and he thought the writing was fantastic! My own opinion is the same, and I'd like to add that I totally got chills at the "twist."

A Sneak Peek: Jeremy and I really loved every bit of the writing from this book and it's really hard to pick a passage to include here, especially a non-spoilery one, so we're going to include the opening to this novel. Keep in mind that this is an ARC so this might not be the final version of the book:
"My eyes opened.
I was on my back.
A mist pressed close, all around me, so close that it was more like a blanket than a fog. The mist was the color of yellowed teeth and it moved without a breath of breeze, moved as if it had a will.
The mist swirled slowly, sensuously, and it touched me. I don't mean that it was merely near to me and therefore inevitably touched me; I mean that it touched me. It felt my face like a blind person might. It crept up the sleeves of my sweater and down the neckline. It found its insinuating way under rough denim and seeped, almost like a liquid, along bare skin. Fingerless, it touched me. Eyeless it gazed at me. It heard the beating of my heart and swept in and out of my mouth with each quick and shallow breath.
The mist spoke to me, wordless, soundless, and yet so I understood, and it said, Shiver."
That right there is the very enticing opening to a very beautiful book.

- Noor

Are you and your stuffed animal reading anything interesting? 
Let us know in your own Stuffed Animal Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment