Inspiring quotes from books!
- "We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." from Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix by JK Rowling - I figured I'd start out with a good old Harry Potter quote because you can never have enough Harry Potter and it's just such a huge part of my life that the messages in the book have stayed with me my whole life. This particular quote is one of my favorites for a few reason. One is that it came from the mouth of Sirius Black, who is one of my absolute favorite characters. He's legitimately my second favorite character, only a smidgen below Luna Lovegood (the tiniest microscopic smidgen) and so I hang on to his lines anyway, but I just like the message behind it in general because I think it's very true, especially when you're older, that everyone has good parts and bad parts and negative thoughts but the important thing is what you make yourself.
- "Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”" from Coraline by Neil Gaiman - So as I've definitely mentioned before, Neil Gaiman is my favorite author and as far as I can recall, my first encounter of his writing was when I read Coraline in fourth grade and totally loved it. This is a quote that's stuck out to me as I've reread the book because it provides such an interesting take on the concept of why people love fairy tales and how the whimsical nature of them isn't the only important part, but it's important to see how they all show that even the toughest battles can be overcome. I find it a very comforting sentiment.
- "It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime..." from The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - If you haven't read this book or any of his other books, please get on it ASAP, because Khaled Hosseini's writing is full of such beautiful wording and imagery and overall command of language. Also, his books will make you cry. A lot. Most quotes from them are less "inspiring" and more sad, but beautiful nonetheless, but I particularly liked this one because it embodies the idea that the direction your life is heading in isn't set in stone, a few choices could change a lot, even though it might not seem like it at first. It's an idea I definitely need to remind myself of pretty often.
- "Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive" from Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - I think Rainbow Rowell has such a way with words and it comes out the most eloquently in Eleanor and Park. This whole book is full of beautifully turned phrases and I particularly liked this one because it was a unique way of describing a not-so-unique action.
- "“You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.” " from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Even though THG is one of the most quotable series, I picked this shorter, still poignant quote for this post because I feel like it really hits hard and a lot of people can relate to it.
Preface: Ditto @ Noor, but also: I really believe that every solid piece of literature (fiction), like every single one that I'd read again or made me feel something has "the line." The line can be just one quote in the book, or there can be multiple, but it is necessary for each good work of literature to have at least one line that stops you in your tracks and demands a reread and a sigh at how truly beautiful/encompassing/what-have-you it is. That being said, some of these quotes below are the line, but some will just be some hella rad quotes that I just happen to really like.
- "It is our choices Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities." from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling - following suit with Noor, I thought I'd start with a Harry Potter quote as well. This is probably one of my favorite quotes from the series, although there are literally hundreds of the lines spread across the seven books. Dumbledore is talking to Harry when this quote is said, and it really centers Harry, and sometimes you just need someone to remind you that who you are is chosen solely by you.
- "I felt wise and cynical as all hell" from The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - This is one of my favorite books of all time and so many of the quotes from it just spoke to me (I read this in my formative year of 9th grade, when I felt so pretentious and superior for absolutely no reason and this book really anchored me and made me realize that I'd only ever change if I was honest with myself). This quote was the beginning of that.
- "She was the noor of my eyes and the sultan of my heart" from A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - LOL shout out to my friend Noor for being the light of my eyes and the sultan of my heart. You are the real bae. Really though, this author and this book and everything this man has ever written is just riddled with perfect lines and quotable moments. But I chose this one because I love Noor lots and I thought I'd take this moment to remind her that she's hella rad and she's totally in charge of my heart.
- "Angry people are not always wise" from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - This quote seriously should be printed somewhere where I can always see it. I tend to make rash decisions when I'm angry, mostly I just get super abrasive and confrontational but after some time the anger ebbs away and I return to being a rational human. This quote is not only from one of my favorite books, but should also be the one thing I get tattooed on my hand or something so I have to see it all the time.
- "Stay gold Ponyboy, stay gold" from The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - I think I say "stay gold" enough in my real life for this to be relevant in this post. It says a lot with so little and I really admire that.
What book quotes inspire you?
Let us know in the comments!