Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sundays with Sam - The Sunday Post

Sundays with Sam is a combination of Sunday Post hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer and Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews.

My Week in Review

I had a rough commuting week. Thank goodness it was only four days long. We did get Chick-Fil-A at work one day and pizza another. So, that was good. Other than that, I throughly enjoyed the sneak peek of spring we received this week, and am really looking forward to more of that.

This week I had talked about how I like to read feel-good books because I enjoy the escape, and then I saw this post:


I thought this "awards" post was really fun:

Restore Me releases March 6th. Let's be ready!
On the Blog:
STACKING THE SHELVES

Not a lot of books this week, but look at that quality. I jumped up and down when I saw the approval for Final Draft. I have been really happy with Redgate's books and I am excited to read her newest book.

NetGalley/Edelweiss











What I Read Last Week

My favorite read of the week has to be Where I Live. It made me so happy! In Search of Us was another great one. The multigenerational angle and grief and loss eluded to in the synopsis had me interested, but there was so much more to that story. I loved every second of it. The Truth Lies Here was another standout. I am sort of glad I made the mistake and read it a few months ahead of time.
  • The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro (audiobook): I didn't like this as much as the first book, but I do feel like we gained some interesting insight into the inner workings of the Moriarty and Holmes clans, as well learned a lot more about how complicated and damaged Charlotte was. We also got a lot of lovelorn type confessions from Jamie, which gave us a bigger picture of his complicated relationship with Charlotte. ★★★ 1/2
  • The Truth Lies Here by Lindsey Klingele: I thought this book was fabulous! It had this cool X-Files type vibe that was blended with this coming of age thread. I enjoyed every second of it.  ★★★★ 1/2
  • Not Quite Crazy by Catherine Bybee: This is the last Not Quite book, and I thought it was a solid send off. I loved the couple, and there were a bunch of cameos from past Not Quite couples. The swoony romance, combine with great characters, lots of quality family time, and an ending that left me in happy tears resulted in a a very satisfying read. ★★★★
  • Honor Code by Kiersi Burkhart: A very thought-provoking exploration of privilege and rape culture, but what made the biggest impact on me, was the parts that dealt with the fallout when a woman reports an assault. Burkhart threw in quite a surprising twist, which I though was fabulous. ★★★ 1/2
  • More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer: I was so pleased with the story Kemmerer gave to Rev. His past was as painful as I thought it would be, but his present struggle with his present and his past really got to me as well. Really cool thing, we learned the meaning of his name, and it was quite cool. ★★★★
  • The Game That Breaks Us by Micaslea Smeltzer (audiobook): I always enjoy a fauxmance to romance, and this one was really sweet. I was a little disappointed in the heroine at this one point in the story, but I guess she sort of redeemed herself in the end. It was fun, sweet, flirty, and the ending left me really happy, so I deem it a success. ★★★ 1/2
  • In Search of Us by Ava Dellaira: OMG! I loved this book so much!!!! I loved the dual timelines and the parents' romance was so epic. Even though there was this HUGE tragedy, I still loved it so much. It was a really beautiful story of love, loss, connection, family, and finding yourself. I would have liked a little more closure for the daughter's storyline, but I was still really happy with where Dellaira left us with the characters. ★★★★ 1/2
  • Where I Live by Brenda Rufener: I am telling you right now. Linden is going to win your heart if you read this book. I know I fell in love with her. Her situation was so difficult, but she had a wonderful group of friends, who were her family, and her story just melted my heart. ★★★★★

What I Am Currently Reading

Full Tilt is a lot more tragic than I anticipated. I don't think this is going to end well, but there is a second book, so it will probably end well in the end. I am just starting Science, but since it's a story about a kid trying to win money a competition in order to help her mother with her depression sounds like another tear jerker. My tears may run dry this weekend.

What I Plan to Read

I have a mixed bag planned for this week. A sports romance, a retelling of a classic, a mystery, and a contemporary romance. I am really looking forward to Virgin Territory, because I have been enjoying the books in this series, and want to finally get this character's story.



How was your week?
Let us know in the comments!

54 comments:

  1. Yes can we have more spring weather? That would be nice. :) And food at work is always a nice way to liven up the day a bit! And I totally read for escapism.

    Olivia Twist looks interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the escape. I get too much reality from the news. Even escapist fiction has threads of reality with respect to people of different cultures, family structures, sexualities, etc, and you can learn, while not being too bogged down by reality.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen a NetGalley approval in a while! Kind of starting to miss it xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting luckier with Edelweiss lately. I think because I get to plead my case there in that little pop up box, but also, NG is mostly wish books for me, and this girl's wishes never come true.

      Delete
  3. OOh nice new reads! Those are new to me ones! I hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a story that can make me cry, so I'll have to keep an eye out for Full Tilt and Science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Full Tilt was going to be a normal romance, but the hero is very ill, and I don't think he will make it. So tragic! Science is adorable and touching. I am almost finished now.

      Delete
  5. That's nice to get good food at work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My company actually has quite a few perks for us, but they seem even more major to me after teaching for over a decade, and not even getting the supplies we needed to run our classrooms.

      Delete
  6. Ugh sorry about the tough commute. I do love me some Chic Fil A . How did I miss Final Draft on NG????? Off to go request now!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My commute is the worst. I ran after the bus one day banging on the door, because I refused to have to wait 30 mins to get the next one home from the train station. I was excited to see Final Draft and all too giddy when I was approved.

      Delete
  7. OMG. Full Tilt...Jonah is everything but wait for book II. I hope you'll love this duet, it's one of my all time favorite.

    Nice haul - plus, you read a ton of books :O

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonah's story is killing me, and I started reading the synopsis for the next book. My gut tells me this won't end well.

      Delete
  8. I am an escape reader for sure!! Avoiding reality, 1 book at a time! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* Escapism is my middle name (not really), and I love it.

      Delete
  9. I think I might have to pick up Where I live! Great haul! Have a great week reading!

    Mary #SundayRoundup #7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I read a lot of really positive reviews (and some negative), but I think because I am such a character driven reader, I couldn't help but fall in love with the book. Linden was incredible and her friends and their families and all the love. It made me feel good.

      Delete
  10. Mmmm, I love it when we have Chick-Fil-A at work. I wish we had it every week, lol.

    We had a few days in the 70s here this week and yes, I am definitely ready for more of that.

    Looks like you've got some great reads coming up soon too. I can't wait to see what you think of Olivia Twist since that is one of my anticipated reads.

    Hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All this showing of love and lunch will end with tax season, so I am sucking it all up while I can. I am actually starting Olivia Twist today. I am really curious to see what Landgon does with the original story.

      Delete
  11. Ugh, sorry to hear about the commuting issues. :( Chick-Fil-A and pizza is a nice treat, though. It's been so warm here the past week. Well, so I've heard... I haven't been outside. LOL But it's hit 80 every day. And pollen is *everywhere.* Definitely excited for Restore Me. I hope it lives up to the long wait. And if not, well, it's still Warner. :) I read my first by Emma Scott last year (Sugar & Gold) and fell in love. I'll definitely read more from her. Hope you have a great week, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My commute = the worst

      I don't have any expectations for Restore Me, but I am excited to catch up with Juliette and Warner (I don't really care about Adam. Is that bad?) I had listened to The Butterfly Project recently and really liked it. Scott does that slightly OTT drama that I tend to enjoy every once in a while, and I saw Full Tilt had a rockstar heroine (for a change), so why not. I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  12. In Search of Us looks very tempting. Enjoy your books, and thanks for sharing.

    I love Stephen Colbert...

    Have a great week! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like tragic, ooey-gooey romances, you will like In Search of Us.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you and Stephen Colbert! I love movies and books that lead to some escapism - real life can get hard enough :) Looks like you have some great books on-tap for next week. Enjoy! (I always try to keep in mind the next 2-3 books I should read... but then always forget!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some times, I want a gut punch, but most of the time, I want to escape. The weekly TBR has been good for me. It keeps me focused. I have been known to bump books, but I usually read most of what I plan to read.

      Delete
  14. Lately, with the way the world is, I like the term "escapism" more and more. Thank goodness for books and the guaranteed HEA.

    Hope your commutes are easier this week! ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're into being grounded in reality, good for you, but this girl likes to escape and feel good. And YES!!! I am all about the HEA, that's why I read so much romance.

      Delete
  15. I just looked up My Lady's Choosing and OMG it sounds like such a fun read! I can't wait to see what you think of it. Have a great week (hopefully commuting is better this week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it?! My commute is miserable, but my job is ok, my management team is great, and I get a lot of reading done while I ride.

      Delete
  16. Wow what a week, I read your Thursday post about feel good reads, and it looks like you read quite a bit that's terrific!!
    http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/02/sunday-post.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that make me feel good. That's why I read so many HEA romances.

      Delete
  17. Mmmmm, Chick-fil-a. I love their waffle fries. Now I want some!

    I need to read More Than We Can Tell! I've had an ARC but I still have not read it. So many books, so little time. *facepalm* I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a great week, Carole. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the catering never included the fries. I guess they would not travel well for over 100 people, but we had strips, nuggets, Chick-Fil-A sandwiches, wraps, salad and fruit salad. So, a good spread.

      Delete
  18. Warmer weather would be perfect. It’s so cold right now. I hope you love your new books. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fearing the whole in like a lamb out like a lion thing. So, I almost hope we get a little bit of weather this week, so I can feel good about the end of the month.

      Delete
  19. I am so ready for spring and we have had some nicer days here lately. Where I Live sounds like a really great book so I might have to check that one out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I Live was wonderful. It put a huge smile on my face.

      Delete
  20. They had a grand opening for a new Chic-Fil-A and people camped out for a year of free food. It's crazy lol. I haven't gone to Netgalley in a while so I'll have to try to get Final Draft. I hope you have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NG and EW are a really important perk of blogging for me. I read a lot. I could never afford all the books I read, and my digital library is like slim pickings. I hope you get a copy of Final Draft. I am really excited about it.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for sharing Awards YA Characters Actually Deserve to Win, Sam. I haven't see that post before and it's so much fun! Also, so many great recommendations - I really need to read more books!!!!

    I'll be waiting to read your thoughts on Olivia Twist. Sadly, my ARC request wasn't approved. :( But I'm still so very excited about it!

    Enjoy your new books. Happy readings! ;)
    Tânia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Epic Reads always has fun posts. I check them out all the time. I am almost done with Olivia Twist, and I like the way the author used the original story and expanded on it, and well, it's got a bit of romance, so I'm happy.

      Delete
  22. Sorry about the bad commute, but only four days is definitely better! It looks like you've been reading some awesome books. I'm super curious about Olivia Twist. Hope you enjoy!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My commute is good, because I get to read a lot, and I get a little exercise running of the train in the morning and the bus in the afternoon.

      Delete
  23. Wow you are killing it with your reading Sam, I do manage to get through a handful of books during the week, but there's not been anything that's really been keeping my attention, I also haven't read a single five star book this year either. So maybe I should check out some of the books that you really enjoyed, In Search of Us really does sound like my sort of read. I also can't wait to see how you get on with A Kiss in the Dark, I have high hopes for that one! I hope you have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My miserable commute gives me a lot of time to read. So, that's the silver lining for me. I am all about how a book makes me feel. The more it makes me feel and the rating are directly proportional. I started sticking with the type of books I know I love - contemporaries and romances. When I do that, I end up with a lot of higher ratings. You also never hear about any of the books I DNF, but they do exist.

      Delete
  24. Ugg rough commute does make a longer week. What You Left Me by Bridget Morrissey looks like an interesting read I hope you enjoy that one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hemmed and hawed about downloading that book, because I have so many books to read around that release date, but in the end, I couldn't pass it up. I think What You Left Me will be a winner for me.

      Delete
  25. Oh this reminds me I am super behind on the Shatter Me series! I seriously need to catch up!

    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forth book comes out soon, and I am so so excited.

      Delete
  26. I feel like I am a lazy reader compared to you *smile* I don´t know any of the books you´re showing in your post, but I found some new that caught my interest. Thank you for sharing them. And happy reading!

    Best wishes
    Vi @Inkvotary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, there are people who read NO books. We are all reading superstars, some of us (like me) just have a lot of dead time to fill, and I fill it with reading.

      Delete
  27. I love the covers of My Lady's Choosing, and Olivia Twist! Pizza is always a motivator for me, ha ha. I hope your week went well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza really is the perfect food. It combines two things I love so much: bread and cheese, and you can put just about anything on top of it, and it still tastes good.

      Delete