Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review: Coming Up for Air - Miranda Kenneally

Coming Up for Air 
Miranda Kenneally
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads
Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner. Homework. Bed. Repeat.

All of Maggie's focus and free time is spent swimming. She's not only striving to earn scholarships—she's training to qualify for the Olympics. It helps that her best friend, Levi, is also on the team, and cheers her on. But Levi's already earned an Olympic tryout, so Maggie feels even more pressure to succeed. And it's not until Maggie's away on a college visit that she realizes how much of the "typical" high school experience she's missed by being in the pool.

Not one to shy away from a challenge, Maggie decides to squeeze the most out of her senior year. First up? Making out with a guy. And Levi could be the perfect candidate. After all, they already spend a lot of time together. But as Maggie slowly starts to uncover new feelings for Levi, how much is she willing to sacrifice in the water to win at love?
As an elite swimmer with Olympic aspirations, Maggie's life is pretty much filled to the brim with swimming. After a college visit, she feels like she is missing out on many of the typical high school experiences. She has only been kissed once during a game, and has never had an actual boyfriend. She is hoping to remedy at least one of these situations by propositioning her best friend to "teach" her how to hook up.
"We can't. That's swimcest."
So, my initial reaction to this book:


And I mean "fluffy" in the best possible way. This book just hit the spot. It was sweet and fun with a low level of drama, and it left me with an ear to ear grin.

I really liked Maggie. This is a girl, who dedicated her life almost exclusively to her sport, and the remainder of her free time was spent with her family or her small group of friends. I admired her dedication on all fronts. She may have been immature when it came to physical relationships, but she was faithful to swimming like it was her job. She understood that her dream came at a cost, and she was willing to give up her days to the pool with no regrets or complaints.
"Even though I'm technically almost an adult, I feel like I haven't had any truly adult experiences. ... To be honest, I haven't had many life experiences at all."
I can still remember a little bit about high school (it was a very long time ago), and I remember feeling like I was being left behind as far a physical relationships go. Therefore, I could relate to Maggie's frustrations. I thought the messages that Kenneally wove in there with respect to sexuality were positive, healthy, and nonjudgmental. She did not impose a one-size-fits-all opinion regarding teen sexuality, as this is not a one-size-fits-all situation. Rather, many different ideas are presented, with the overarching idea being that it's a personal choice. Kenneally even addresses the double standard that is prevalent in society when it come girls versus boys, and I say - bravo!
"I get what she's saying. There's definitely a double standard. It seems guys can do whatever they want sexually, because boys will be boys. But girls have every right to experiment too. Can't girls be girls?"
I adored the friendship between Maggie and Levi. They had so much history together, and were quite a support system for each other. They had this higher level of understanding, not just because of years and years of friendship, but also because of their shared Olympic goal. I was rooting for this friendship to evolve from the very beginning. I just saw them as perfect for each other, and I experienced a whole lot of different emotions throughout this story overtime their relationship changed.

I have not been involved in any sports since my own high school days, but I love reading sports romances. I especially like, when there are actual sports sequences included, as there are in Coming Up for Air. Miranda Kenneally gave me a great look at what it takes to chase a swimming dream. All the laps, the weight lifting, the carb loading, all the sacrifices - the amount of time that an elite level athlete dedicates to their sport is daunting. She also did a great job getting us inside Maggie's head, including a rival, who was a thorn in her side and a hinderance to her gold medal dreams.

I was already a Hundred Oak fan prior to Coming Up for Air, and I was so excited when I spotted the first cameo from Jordan Wood (book 1). Then, Jordan and Sam pop up again. But, I really lost it all with their appearance in the epilogue. What a gift for the fans! Kenneally deftly brought this series full circle, by giving us a fantastic update on the very first Hundred Oak couple, as well as filling us in on what happened "after" with Maggie and Levi. I won't tell you much, but a few happy tears may have escaped from my eyes.


Overall: A solid addition to the Hundred Oak series. A wonderful friends to lovers story, which is sort of fluffy and left me with a happy heart.

**I would like to thank the publisher for the advanced copy of this book









Do you like to swim?
Let us know in the comments!
SaveSave
SaveSave

18 comments:

  1. So happy you enjoyed this one. I have it coming up and am excited for it. I aways love a friends to lovers story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of the series and was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the sports sequences

      Delete
  2. This was my favorite of Miranda's books. I'm a sucker for a BFF to more story!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love friends to lovers as well, but think my love bias is because of that epilogue

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such a cute book! I like fluffy books! I also love that the author had the not one-size fits all mindset. Great review! I will need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fluffy, but with some substance. That is how I would describe all the Hundred Oaks books. Kenneally presented many different POVs regarding sex. Some characters wanted to wait, others didn't, but all options were ok, because it's a personal choice. I totally respected the way she handled that aspect of this book.

      Delete
  4. I need to read these books! I love the sound of this one and I do love when there are cameos in companion books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hooked from the first book, and it was really exciting to see her first couple grown up. I am getting misty as I write this. I hate when series I love end. Waaahhhhhh!

      Delete
  5. I totally agree. It's so fluffy!! In the best way. You make some excellent points and I agree 100%. It really is a fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what Kenneally will do next. It was a great 8 book run.

      Delete
  6. So excited for this one! I've only read one by Kenneally so far (Breathe Annie Breathe) and liked it so much. I picked it up on a whim and ended up being surprised by how much depth it had and how much I was invested. I expected cute and fluffy and got so much more. I've been meaning to read more from her ever since but it just hasn't happened. Definitely time to change that with this one, though. Enjoyed your review, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I love about these books. Fluff with substance. I am going to miss them.

      Delete
  7. I ADORED this book! I have to write my review ASAP. It is definitely one of my favorites of the year- and that is saying a LOT for someone who is not generally a fan of the fluffy. The quote you shared is one of my favorites- because swimcest is a very real thing! The author did her homework for this book, that is abundantly clear- and so MUCH of the swimming culture is on point, I was really impressed. And I loooooved Maggie, I felt like I could relate to her so much! So glad you enjoyed this one too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is saying a lot! But I agree, it was really great. I was on track in my youth, but I found myself so absorbed by the swim culture, and then add that elite level on top, and I was wowed by the dedication. I can't wait to read your review!

      Delete
  8. It's been ages since I've read a Miranda Kenneally book, but her stories are always such great summer reads so maybe I should pick this one up. The fact that Jordan and Sam pop up...heck yes. Sold! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome to catch up with Jordan and Sam, and I really like that she came full circle for the finale. These were always pretty solid reads for me too. Sad to see it end, but happy with the ending.

      Delete
  9. I agree that this book was complete fluffy goodness. And the epilogue was wonderful!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete