Monday, May 22, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?: May 22, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus.

This post is for sharing what I read last week, what I am currently reading, and what I plan to read.

What I Read Last Week

Last week was an ok reading week. The two standouts were Making It Right and Internet Famous. I did have a DNF, but we won't talk about that. And as suspected, Be True to Me was sort of nostalgic. I loved so many of the references, and thought Griffin used just the right amount to let us taste the 70s, but not alienate anyone unfamiliar with the time period.



What I Am Currently Reading

This is a very cool story of how I got my current read. I was in one of my reader groups (Crownover's  Crowd), and there was a giveaway for an ARC of Crownover's newest Saints of Denver book. However, one of the entries required posting a review for the last Saints book. When I lamented on the thread, how I have been on the hold list since the beginning of April and there were still 6 people ahead of me, I was gifted an eBook. Needless to say, I was very touched by the gesture, and quite excited to read it, because I love Jay's books.

My audiobook is the second book in the Into the Deep series by Samantha Young. Wow! Young is ruthless. How many times can she tear these two apart!



What I Plan to Read

Planning the normal four books for this week. Hoping for some good things. I am interested in seeing what Williams does with YA, as I have read and enjoyed her NA books. Early buzz on If Birds Fly Back is really good, so hoping it wins my heart too. I am really enjoying all these #OwnVoices books that I have been reading lately, and I hope The Authentics continues this streak for me. And a week of reading is not complete without a sports romance, as far as I am concerned. I have enjoyed the previous books in this series by Doyle, and know Called Out will most likely satisfy my sports romance need.










What are you reading?
Let us know in the comments!

20 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Summer Rental, and I'm curious about Internet Famous. Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew's is hit or miss for me, and I was worried at first with this one, but once it hit its stride, I was in love with the story. And the ending!!! Loved it! Internet Famous was adorbs. Stone does cute romances very well.

      Delete
  2. Called Out does look good. I'm currently trying to read review books that will be released in June. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always mix at least one of my romances in with my review books. I love them too much to go a week without a good NA/Adult romance. I feel like I read enough books per week, that I can give in to that need.

      Delete
  3. The Authentics looks interesting. I hope you enjoy reading this week.

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving all these #OwnVoices books by people of different cultures. When I was younger (late 70s/early 80s), I had pencils all over the world, and we would send each other stuff and share things about our home, and I loved learning how we were the same and how we were different. That is the same awesome experience I am having with the #OwnVoices books I have been reading, and I hope my streak continues with The Authentics.

      Delete
  4. I'm adding Internet Famous to my wishlist. My husband is home. My daughter had two pieces in her school's art show. And we got new cement poured at the bottom of our stoop. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have so much going on! Congrats on the art show. How exciting for your daughter! If you like sweet-cute romances, you will enjoy Internet Famous. I really enjoyed Stones first book, and this one had the same feel.

      Delete
  5. Internet Famous looks good, and Be True To Me got my attention with the 70's setting. That could be fun. Out of the Shallows looks like it could be good too...

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be True to Me definitely dropped some good 70s tidbits, and Internet Famous was too cute. I really liked the Snapchat-ish pictures and messaging that was scattered throughout the story. Out of the Shallows is heartbreak with a side of tragedy, but I am sure I will get an HEA, otherwise Young's books wouldn't be this popular. =)

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these books on your list. I have to admit that I am very curious about what book was a dnf. How nice it was for someone to gift you the book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like gifting a reader a book. Right now, I just feel bombarded by political stuff and the news only highlights the negatives, so when I was reading the book, and within two chapters, it had raised 3 political issues, I set it aside. I remember this discussion in grad school on student misconceptions, and my professor telling us that we should acknowledge but not discuss, because you never know which students will make that incorrect connection, which you are reinforcing by discussing, in their brain. I think there is too much out there right now reinforcing negative connections, and that negative begets negative. *off my soapbox*

      Delete
  7. Oh Jay Crownover is sooo good! Also, I have been meaning to read Catherine Bybee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love her books. Church is such a fantastic hero and I love where I think Wheeler is going with this one. =)

      Delete
  8. How great that you were gifted the Crownover book! I've read the Marked Men series (all on audio) and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately my library doesn't have the Saints of Denver series so I'll need to decide if I want to buy them (on audio or kindle) to I can continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Saints because we are still in the Marked world, and I wasn't ready to leave. 😊

      Delete
  9. I'm reading Be True to Me right now, and there are a lot of good 70s details. The skirts were SO short then! Glad they aren't now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Griffin selected her references thoughtfully and didn't go overboard. I know my face lit up when she describe the crab salad. I so remember the odd, gelatinous foods. =)

      Delete
  10. The Authentics looks good. I'll be watching for it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Authentics was excellent. It was really close to 5-stars for me.

      Delete